Sunday, July 31, 2005

Busy, busy weekend...

Oy, what a difference this weekend was from last weekend! No boredom worries this weekend. It seems that I've been going non-stop since Friday. My sister drove up from Victoria with her Foster baby on Thursday night. Unfortunately there's no room at the Inn here, so she stays at our folk's place.

My sister took Erik to Austin for the day on Friday and she left Marvin (foster baby) with Mom all day. I went over to help Mom after I finished a report I was working on. I went over at around 1 pm to help out with the baby. I made sure to go over around lunchtime so that I could get Mom to make me some lunch which she did. Why do sandwiches taste so much better when someone else makes them?

Marvin is six months old and not much of a napper. He catnaps 30 minutes at a time, so there's lots of hands on stuff with him. I took over the baby duties for most of the afternoon to give Mom a break. My sister and Erik got home at about 5:30pm and Mom insisted I stay for dinner. I got home at around 7 pm and I was wiped out. Between the busy workweek and helping with the baby, I felt like I'd been knocked on my ass!

My sister and I spent the day together on Saturday mostly just visiting and running a couple of errands. She and Marvin drove home in the evening. On one of the Saturday errands, we picked up a couple of paint colors for Erik's consideration for his room. I figured we'd paint a couple of good sized squares and let him decide from those. You can't really ever tell just from those small paint chips, so I like to buy a quart and paint a good sized section so that you can really get an idea what the color is going to look like on a large scale. Well when I painted the two test areas yesterday, I figured that it would take Erik a week or so to decide and to want to even begin painting. Nope. Oh what a silly thought that was!

This morning as I was reading the paper Erik said to me....hey Mom can we paint my room today? Hmm, well I had planned on having an easy day, but Erik is rarely in the mood to do projects let alone help with them so I thought I'd better take advantage of the situation. I asked him to go to Home Depot to pick up the paint...and when he didn't balk at that I knew he really wanted to do the project. You see he doesn't like to drive anywhere or waste gas, so I knew that he was serious about this endeavor!

He chose the color for his room. Surprisingly he chose Terra Cotta Pot for his room. I was quite surprised. It's not exactly what you would call a masculine color. And truthfully, it's not something that I would have chosen. I tend to like muted greens, tans, sunbleached yellows, and plum colors. Orangey colors aren't generally on my radar. Well the project took all day. It's not a large room, but Erik had about a bazillion books to move and his room is jam packed full with furniture. Plus I like to paint the ceiling the same color when painting a small room. It actually makes it look a bit larger if you extend the color continuity to the ceiling. Anyhoo, what that all means in the end is that it took longer to paint the room! Start to finish it was an all day project. And the color looks much nicer than I would have thought. I still wouldn't have chosen it for myself, but then again it isn't my room!

I'm going to try and take it easy with what's left of the evening. We've got another busy workweek ahead, plus I told Sarah that I would babysit the kids on Wednesday. I'm already tired thinking about taking care of three kids on Wednesday and it isn't even Wednesday yet!

Woowee, did I ever forget how exhausting taking care of babies is! I was going to say that I don't know how Chad and Sarah or my sister do it...but that's not right...because I do remember that you just do it...it's hard work that gets easier as they get older. Then when they're 16 and 18 and you volunteer to babysit a friend's babies you think to yourself...I can't believe that I actually did this all those years ago!!

Next weekend I hope it's back to the usual, uneventful weekend. I think I'm gonna need the rest!

2 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger E said...

note to self...Renee loves to paint.

you volunteered to babysit a preschooler and the infant twins...ROFL, enjoy yourself. wish there was a camcorder on you the whole time...*grin*.

as usual...your week sounds crazy but good non the less and what was nifty was no comments about food obsessions...congrats!

enjoy your week and share when ya can.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! While I was searching for info on designer baby shoes I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for designer baby shoes. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about designer baby shoes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home