Tuesday, July 05, 2005

There Is No Either Or...

Whenever I start to feel myself backsliding or losing my way, I realize it's because I keep trying to make life and what's in it an either/or. It's either good or bad. It's either happy or sad. It's either beautiful or ugly. Or the other statement that bogs me down is the if/then statement. If I do this, then I'll get that. If I do this well, then all in life will be well. These two statements trip me up until I fall flat on my ass wondering what happened? Well, either/or and if/then happened.

Life isn't an either/or. Life is wonderful and life is crappy. It's not either, but both. It's wonderful and crappy and often at the same time. If I do something right, it doesn't mean then I'll get only the good. You get it all. No extra charge. There is no either/or just a great big AND.

Quite often you get the whole wonderful sloppy mess in the same day and some times each and everyday! How many times have you had a day start out great only to have it veer off into crapville? Or vice versa? Friday wasn't a good day...It was both good and bad...it was a wonderful sloppy mess!

I can't pick and choose what I get. I get what I get. Yes, there's a certain amount of reaping what you sow, but there is also an interconnectedness to life too. I have no idea how Joe Bob's error in judgement or his bad day will affect me. I don't even know Joe Bob, but his choices may somehow affect my little corner of the universe. Just like what I do may affect someone else too! And it can be as simple as a smile or a kind word or a cross word. There's a ripple effect to our words and actions which we must all keep in mind. It's part of that wonderful sloppy mess!

So you get what you get...The Good, the Bad and The Ugly! Life ain't Burger King...you don't get it your way! You don't want the pickles....sorry you'll have to pick them off yourself!

So that's life...it's all one big wonderful sloppy mess! It's both wonderful and crappy. I get it all whether I want it or not! It's all about what I do with that sloppy mess and how I react to the sloppy mess. That's where my choices lie...in my actions and reactions. Some days I'm gonna be happy. Some days I'll be sad. But I can't be happy or sad all the time forever. I can't choose just one. I get them all...happy and sad and everything in between! Why do we get it all...well I think it's simply because you can't have one without the other!

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger E said...

"your way" is not realistic, so it is good to understand that. The realm of acceptance if one in which we accept it all.

My life has been filled for two years with some unbelievable set backs and in that same note I have had some of the greatest things come into my life at the same time...so one cannot look at the black and white...it is and always will always be gray.

Learn, live and grow. The Truth is in those moments that we keep inside ourselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home