Monday, August 22, 2005

Monday mish-mash...

The adrenaline is pumping to complete several environmental audits for one of our really good clients before the end of August. August 31st is the end of their fiscal year and so the budget for these goes bye-bye. I've been working six days a week the last few weeks, and Sarah has been coming over to work on Sundays. It looks like I'll be working every day until the 31st in order to get these reports done. Unfortunately all my brain power will be channeled to getting the reports done!

Sarah went to her doctor last week for her last check-up to see how her sock is mending (pun intended)!! Anyway, it seems the new sock is healing nicely, but Sarah did have a few more questions for her doctor now that she no longer has a uterus. Naturally Sarah wanted to know if she would have to have Pap smears any longer...and the surprising answer is yes she does....so she immediately asked the doc what exactly would be smeared since she no longer has a cervix or uterus for smearing. Apparently the doc will take a smear of her vaginal walls instead. Hmmm...interesting. What a bummer though. I think that she was hoping that along with no more period she could add no more pap smears to the list...alas no such luck.

With all this rush for the end of the fiscal year, it got me to thinking about how many people here in Texas say physical year when they mean fiscal. It always cracks me up when I hear someone say physical year and mean it. One of my other favorite malapropisms that you hear around here is medium for median. I saw a sheriff being interviewed on the local news and he was telling the reporter about a body that was discovered in the tall grass in the highway medium! Yep...I watched the late news just to make sure that I heard him correctly and he said that a body was discovered in the highway medium! I think that the tv station folks must have been giggling the whole time while putting the piece together. Also, a surprising number of people say fruitation when I hope they mean fruition. I've heard this one a lot and it makes me snicker every time!

So the end of the fiscal year gets me reminiscing about my favorite and often heard malapropisms. As I think of others througout the week, I'll be sure and share.


1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen this one a couple of times in fic lately, something like, "she picked up a vanilla folder from the desk..."

I don't think I could work in that office - I'd be hungry all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home