Monday, August 01, 2005

Monday Musings...

Oy, what a busy Monday and it looks like it's going to be busy the rest of the week and for the rest of the month. And we're going to be busy without even having heard anything on that gigundus proposal from a few weeks back.

Having lots of business coming in means good cash flow for awhile. Cash flow has got to be the biggest and most constant worry for small business owners. So I'm glad for the work, but it's going to be very hectic for the next several weeks and I'll probably have to work some weekends too. The lazy part of me is not looking forward to that at all, but my rational side realizes that consulting work comes in cycles. So right about when I think I couldn't possibly write another report, the current cycle of work will drop off to allow us all to catch our breath.

Right now we're in the midst of a cash flow slump so that will help with the motivation for this month's work. It was a bit slow the month of June when Sarah had the twinkets. On one hand, I was glad that there wasn't too much going on that month because Sarah would have wanted to work from her hospital bed. But now we're feeling the effects moneywise for our slower than normal June.

I've decided that learning to live with the ebb and flow of cashflow is good practice for the uncertainties of life. And it's good practice for me to keep my worrying in check. Compared to this time last year, I feel like I have my worrying under control. I feel more like I control my worry and it no longer controls me. Although I do backslide a bit now and then. This year I feel much better not worrying and somewhere along the line and this is perhaps going to seem obvious, but my worrying did nothing to change the outcome either way. Once I was able to embrace that idea, I was finally able to get a handle on the worrying. And seeing that things work out one way or another has helped too. So this month with the limited cash flow, I've been having to give myself a few pep talks so that I don't backslide into worryland! Having lots of work and certain future cashflow helps with the pep talks too.

The biggest thing is that regardless of cashflow being a constant concern, I am so much happier working for myself and not for some corporation where I wouldn't have the freedom and independence that I have now. So for me the freedom and independence that I now enjoy more than make up for worrying about cash flow.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Renee, been looking for the latest info on notenetwork and found Monday Musings.... Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Renee, been looking for the latest info on business notes and found Monday Musings.... Though not exactly what I was searching for, it did get my attention. Interesting post, thanks for a great read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home