Thursday, September 01, 2005

I spoke too soon...

Yikes....I spoke too soon about it being an easy, breezy work day today. It was busy and hectic, and we had the twinklets today too. And Brad was here most of the day, too. So I told Sarah that with Brad over too it was like having three babies at work today!

As Sarah and I were loading up the car to go to the copy place and lunch, Brad happened to ask right as I was snapping the second baby in the car if there was anything that he could do to help. I don't remember what exactly I said, but he immediately replied that I was pretty heavy on the sarcasm. No Really?! Anyhow, he's not much help with the girls anyway, so it's usually best for him to stay out of the way.

One day I asked Sarah if she thought that Brad was maybe one of those guys that half-asses things on purpose so that he won't be asked to do certain things again. If I remember correctly, she snorted and giggled and said that if that were the case then he must not want to do anything then! Hmmm. She may have a point, but I think that he really doesn't want to do anything unless he gets something out of it.

Mom called from Estonia this morning. Apparently she and dad are on a side trip and saw the news about Hurricane Katrina...and wanted to make sure that we weren't affected also. I figured that it would be a really quick call because while my mom was excited that she got a cell phone set up to take calls in Europe, she must have told me a bazillion times that the calls were 50 cents a minute. So the translation is that I wasn't to call her on it unless someone was in the hospital or the house burned down. So I was a might bit surprised that she seemed to want to chat a bit and hear how Bogey was faring and such. I felt myself speaking with an economy of words and quickly too. Then to totally throw me off, she began musing on how clear the cell connection was from Estonia to San Antonio...after I put my eyes back in my head from surprise...I replied that the satellite must be in a good position. At that point the phone began to crackle and then mom replied as I expected and made mention of the 50 cents a minute and blah, blah time to go. The funny thing is that we couldn't have talked more than 4 or 5 minutes. I think the $2 isn't going to ruin their trip to Europe!

Speaking of the hurricane, what a terrible tragedy. San Antonio is now hosting many of the storm's refugees and it looks like many of them may be here for the remainder of the year. The Humane Society of New Orleans also sent several animals here for adoption whose owners gave up to save them from the storm. Wow what courage and love that must have taken to give up a beloved pet to most likely never see again. It made me want to go adopt one of the displaced pets....but with three dogs and two cats of my own...well I just can't take anymore right now as much as I would like too. I figure in my old age, I'll be the eccentric old lady with a huge yard and lots of pets to talk to and keep me company as well as keep the neighbors entertained with my eccentric ways! Thankfully I didn't have to fret over those displaced animals for long because San Antonians adopted nearly all of them the first day. I wish it were that easy for people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home