Thursday, October 27, 2005

Good Grief!!!

I can't believe it's been more than two weeks since I've updated this thing until a little birdy asked me about it....and gave me a well deserved kick in the pants too. Thanks little birdy!

I usually don't get so stressed out over a project, but the grocery store projects that Sarah and I have been working on were a bit stressful to say the least. Sarah thought that my project was much more nerve wracking than hers and I could tell that she was glad she didn't have mine. I think what made the project so stressful was that the client is so busy and it was so difficult to get information out of her....and on top of that we haven't worked for her for very long..so I felt that I had to do a lot of mind reading since she gave me a few cryptic directions and basically told me to run with it. On one hand, it's flattering to have a client have that much confidence in you....but at the same time since I haven't worked with her that much I'm not that familiar with her likes and dislikes....or really how far she wanted me to run with that ball. Some clients will say stuff like that, but they really want you to check with them on everything before making a move. Then to compound all of this....a little over a week before the original deadline she emails me and said ooops I forgot to send you all this too...and I need you to finish this ASAP...sorry. I just about cried the day she sent me that email along with the following emails with all the attachments. Needless to say....I wound up having to ask for an extension on the deadline. And even then I wasn't sure that I was gonna make that deadline either.

So after working six days a week for several weeks, I got the meat of project completed late last Friday. On Sunday, Sarah and I assembled both our projects for mailing...and at one point I was so relieved and giddy from having the monkey off my back....I suggested we take pictures of our nicely and neatly presented projects! She just laughed....but I think she did kinda want me to do it!

On Monday I had plans for an easy day for work....but I woke up late and wound up being a slug all day. I think I hit the proverbial wall! I wasn't much better Tuesday either. Today I'm starting to feel human again and getting back to my old self, but I have to say I've never been so relieved to have a project done.

We'll follow up with the client next week to make sure that everything is to her liking. If it isn't though, I think I'm gonna cry. I told Sarah that I've never worried about a project so much before. She seemed to think that it was because of the lack of direction and input as well as feedback from the client. It's like a good portion of my project was an exercise in reading the client's mind...and I'm fretting on how well I did that. I feel that if I did it well....she'll probably rely on us for lots of her work which is ultimately what we want.

I'm pleased with my work and am hopeful that the client will feel the same way. Sarah did an excellent job on her project too.

Now hopefully life will be back to normal...well whatever that is anyway...and I can pare back to five days a week again. Yipee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home