Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Another Day, another dollar...

Well let's hope it's more than a dollar! I really like working for myself, and one of the benefits is that my pay is in direct proportion to how much I work. On the other hand, one of the detriments to working for myself is that my pay is in direct proportion to how much I work! That's the thing with working for yourself. Some aspects can be both positive and negative.

We're working like crazy maniacs right now, and what helps to keep me motivated is knowing that we'll be seeing the money coming in September and October. And it's looking to be a tidy sum! Hell it should be with all the hard work that we're expending! I remember while working at the last big consulting company that it didn't matter how hard or how many overtime hours you put in, you were paid the same every week. So overtime wasn't pleasant, but unfortunately necessary from time to time. On the other hand, if business was slow at the big consulting company, I could still count on being paid no matter what. Theoretically it was supposed to even out in the end. I think that the corporation still came out waaay ahead.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that although I'm going to be pretty darn worn out by the end of the month, I'll be compensated for it generously. In the past when work just trickled in my paycheck was also a trickle or less.

I guess that my point is, if I had one that is, is that I like my salary being in direct proportion to my efforts. I don't think it's about control, but really more about freedom.

Another long day ahead tomorrow. But that's okay. I set my own hours, and work at home. I wear shorts or jeans every day for work except of course for client meetings. I can take time out for my afternoon hike/run and return later to complete a report or task. I can run errands at lunch without having to watch the clock. How do I accomplish all this? Well you see, my pay is in direct proportion to how much I work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home