Friday, September 02, 2005

What took them so long?

At the risk of sounding like a Monday Morning Quarterback, I want to know too...what took our government so long to get into the heart of New Orleans to render aid? Like many Americans, I've been watching the coverage since the hurricane and watching those people stranded with no food or water or bathrooms or medical care for days just boggles the mind and breaks my heart. FEMA is an agency specifically set up to go into natural disasters such as this one, so what happened?

The news coverage put in me tears all day today. I can't imagine the frustration and desperation those people are feeling. And watching our President trying to comfort hurricane victims in Biloxi left me with a sour taste. Those people need real and immediate help, not a hug and a kiss from the President.

Despite the government's lackluster response, it was very heartwarming to see the overwhelming and speedy response of American citizens, businesses, and aid organizations rally to render aid. It seems that many local governments have been quicker to respond to this tragedy than our own federal government. My own city stepped up to the plate. Like many people, I've sent in donations and hope that the money and supplies get to where they need to be as quickly as possible. My sister, a foster parent, offered to take in a couple of displaced foster kids from New Orleans, but state to state red tape is impeding the process. What will those kids do while the states work out the paperwork?

I, like many people, don't understand how the richest country on Earth which can mobilize a military operation overnight can't mobilize a rescue operation overnight as well. The finger pointing has started already and this issue will and should be studied until we're sure this will not be repeated for the next disaster. I am not a fan of our news media at all, but in this case I hope the news coverage has embarrassed the powers that be enough to get their asses moving and get those people out of there. What a boondoggle of epic proportions.

Let's hope that the pressure stays on our government until every soul is out of there and accounted for. When all is said and done, at a minimum the citizens of New Orleans and Biloxi deserve some answers as well as an apology from the President. Until then, I'll continue to hope and pray for a speedy resolution to this nightmare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home