Friday, January 20, 2006

The Gift...

Without a doubt, one of the best gifts that I received this past Christmas was a one-year pass to any and all Texas State Parks. A new state natural area, Government Canyon, recently opened and it's about 5 or 6 miles from my house. The park is over 8,000 acres and was created to help protect the Edwards Aquifer, San Antonio's primary drinking water source. The park lies almost entirely within the Aquifer's recharge zone which is what makes it so important.

Since it's so large, the park has miles and miles of trails which are mostly rocky and rugged with some good elevation changes. I've already been a few times since we've been having an unseasonably warm winter. The temperatures have been in the 60s and 70s, and it's been my favorite winter here so far.

So this afternoon, I'm heading out to use my new gift that keeps on giving! It's sunny and about 70 degrees right now. In my book, that's perfect weather! Since a cold front and rain are on the way, I'll probably wind up doing a very long hike at least 10 miles. That way when it's cold and rainy tomorrow and I'm a little sore, I won't be chomping at the bit wishing I were out on the trails. I tend to overdo things, that's just my way I guess.

Okay time for sunscreen and I'm off...

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger E said...

Wow...congrats. That it truly a special gift enjoy it well. Perhaps we can get a few more pictures?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home